Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Exam Week: The Instructor's Time for Himself

It's examination week for me for this week - not exactly a tedious major exam week but more of a long exam week for my MINSYST, ALGEBRA, and BUSMATH (this reminds me actually that I still need to make my ALGEBRA exam for Thursday!). So far I've handed in my MINSYST and BUSMATH exams and suffice to say I've done an interesting activity while watching my students squirm in pain and misery at the suffering they're going through.

I've been a LEGO fan for the longest time - ever since I was a child I was already playing with those wondrous plastic toys that interlock and form curious yet interesting shapes and figures. From medieval castle systems to cityscape houses, I can't seem to get enough of LEGO, and when I started making money for myself I made it a point to allocate some of my funds to create my personal collection of LEGOs - not something I'd end up losing or wasting away, mind. Hence I chose a particular set of LEGOs to collect - the Lego Racers!

So far I've built about 15 cars overall and 1 racetrack on the works. Lately though they've started cluttering up desk space so I opted to demolish them all into their fragments and stow it in a bag. Now that I've renewed my hype in them, I've unearthed the things from my desk and now use it to recover my wasted mind from my day-to-day classes.

Well this time I opted to play the LEGOs while the quiz is in session so, making use of a game board box as a container, I marched in class, distributed the exam paper, then sat on the teacher's desk to play with the legos while watching the class. I admit it was a little ineffective in terms of spotting cheaters but heck, let them cheat their way if they want to - it's their life to end up in ruins in the future anyway.

So after three exams and several building-demolishing-rebuilding of the LEGO plan I had in mind, I came up with these imaginative (and exceptionally weird) car designs!

As you can see they form the weirdest shape possible for a car - let alone a monster truck - where in heaven's name would you find a car that is actually two cars fused into one?

Still, it's cute. And it was conceived at the height of my students' misery. Maybe I should do it more often next time, LOL.



0 comments: