Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Crazed over Assignments

As a student I was a diligent follower of the fact that assignments should be done at home and submitted on time at school - that is, before the class starts and when the teacher asks for them before the discussion of said assignment begins.

Well, at least that worked from elementary until most of high school. From there on I fancied doing assignments from several hours to several minutes before they were due to be submitted. In College it became no better, reduced to doing an assignment before the class even begins. Heck, it even happened that I just remembered there was an assignment before the class started!

Now that I'm on the other side of the classroom, giving assignments has been commonplace for me. In fact, I enjoy reading students' assignments especially if it's essay or opinion-based homeworks. I regularly make it a point to mark each students' paper with my own notes based on what they had answered and try to pierce, taunt, joke, or comment about their replies. It's like an interactive thing, them responding to my (or the book's) questions and me replying in kind.

So anyway, I set an assignment for my Management Information Systems class last week - a simple case study about FedEx's success in using Information Systems in the past. Lo and behold was I surprised that when I entered the first-period MINSYST class I held (AC81), they were all looking down on yellow sheets of paper, writing furiously with their pens.

Evidently student attitude has not improved over the months of my absence.

I try (and try hard) to collect the assignments but they just begged for a little bit of time. I even tried the counting to ten trick and it somewhat worked, forcing some of them to reveal their hands. I was not annoyed over this lack of responsibility, really, since I can understand these students also had things to do and if they wished to rush over this assignment then its something they're doing to themselves. No need to work myself over that, just keep taunting them and forcing them into my insane way of thinking :P

The same incident occurred in my second class and I was almost amused by this time, for student attitude really has never changed and it seems more fun that way. It'd be no fun for such an instructor as myself to have such angelic, obedient students.

Or at least, I had hoped so.

After class I lounged myself into my usual quarters at the 5th floor where we were joined by my colleagues-at-work, co-workers, and some students, two of whom were under the second class I had. I took a seat near a co-worker and the scene follows suit.

Scene: The "Assignment"

This co-worker of mine looks up from his computer terminal and asks me.

Co-Worker: So kamusta naman ang klase mo?
Me: Ok naman, masaya as usual.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone reading something. Piqued by curiosity I turned to see one of my students sitting beside me with his back to me. I look over and lo and behold I see him reading the case study assignment I had set upon them last week and collected just today.

Me: *humorously* Antigas din na
man ng mukha mo no, magbabasa ka na nga lang ng pinasa nang assignment, sa tabi ko pa talaga.
Student: Syempre naman sir. Pasa ko to mamaya ha?
Me: *still humorously* Basta ba minus 10 kada oras na late ka.
Student: Haha, sige lang sir.

To the average instructor this might already be insubordination in the works, but I don't bother myself with stressing over such trifles. The assignment was just to test the
waters as to how my students reason with this subject anyway, not exactly a long exam worth sweating over on issues like cheating or shit.

Me: At least si Kevin diba kahit parang di nakikinig sa klase ko kanina nagpasa naman ng assignment.
Kevin: Ser di pa din ako nagpapasa nyan.

My brains just went LOL.

Me: *humorously still* ... mga walanghya kayo kala ko naman good example kayo sa mga accountancy students na kaklase ninyo, yun pala kayo pa ata magpapasimuno ng BI (Bad Influence) sa kanila!

And the entire room went LOL.


*Scene Ends*

And that is how my first round of handing out assignments has turned out so far. LOL





0 comments: