Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mindfuck in the Classroom: The Wrath of the Instructor

An interesting discussion over plurk transpired today about school ethics and frankly it made me think whether I had been a completely 'by-the-book' instructor with my ways and all. Sure, I still poke fun at the crappy instructors, who are technically now my officemates and still like the instructors I've had a crush on during my student days - not that I openly express them into their face, no - my ethics is still stable as far as things go.

The discussion turned to a new vista of opportunity to explore as part of mad antics - being a serious instructor at the face of my students' knowledge about me - truthfully speaking this is nothing new as I've done this in the past, in a scene I will now share that highlighted my greatest serious-yet-WTF moment in class.

Scene: Hookey Students get a Treatment

It was the celebration of the College's main fair, more often referred to as the College Week, a time of great festivity to all students and staff of the College. This is the only time when all departments collide to create the greatest bash ever to be seen in the school year.

It is part of the instructor guidelines for the week to encourage their students to attend the activities but still not forget abo
ut conducting their classes whenever necessary. As for me, being a Business Mathematics instructor during the time, I was religiously following my syllabus and conducting lessons accordingly.

Lo and behold was I surprised when I entered their classroom, I found no one inside! My thinking immediately concluded that my students had gone over to an event that coincided with my schedule, and I would have cared less if they did, really. I suppose by now my readers would know that I do not restrain my students from free expression and let them do as they wish even in class.

But the heck, they could at leas
t let me know they're going to try and watch instead of skipping my class like a troop of rebels on a coup-d'etat. I didn't teach them to be hookey-playing students!

Frankly that moment I was pissed and hence I scrawled up a note and taped it on their classroom door. The gist of the message read thus:

"The next time you guys decide na pumunta sa mga events nang hindi nagpapaalam sa kin wag na kayo umatend sa klase ko!

- Sir Dave"


I then hurried away before any of them could return and see me. Even before I posted the message I had already 'forgiven' my students about this blunder, but my mad antics dictate that I should mess with their minds and consciences a bit.

The following meeting, I cautiously approached their classroom, wearing a glum and serious look. My students hanging outside immediately entered as if to warn their classmates. There was a tense aura of fear at work.

I entered the classroom and slammed the door behind me so hard even I scared myself. My class was mysteriously quiet and everyone was behaved and seated properly. My, I didn't know I could enforce this much au
thority!

I continued with my act and slammed my things on my desk so hard it made a loud noise. My markers clattered on the floor and my orderly stack of papers got slightly ruffled. The students sitting in front of me flinched.

Me: Ok, guys...

My cockiest student stood up and walked up towards me. For your info, he was part of the committee in charge with the event my students attended and felt responsible for not informing me properly.

Student: Sir, mag e-explain po ako tungkol sa last meeting...
Me: Bakit, anong nangyari last meetin
g?
Student: Sir, hindi po kami naka attend ng class, baka nagalit kayo.
Me: Bakit, sinong may sabing galit ako?

The tense aura in the classroom dissipated faster than it ever came. Explanations were exchanged and I gave my students the sage advice on skipping class properly. LOL



0 comments: