Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Poser Instructor II

In continuation of my antics played on my new Tourism students, one of the girls who was sitting in on the ALGEBRA class (a classmate of theirs who was not enrolled in the class but happened to be enrolled on the BUSMATH class I was handling) asked me for an encore of the performance in the case of her classmates (which also happened to be their classmates too). You can say that the ALGEBRA class I was handling were those who did not make it through the mathematical ordeal while the BUSMATH class were the survivors.

Hence I start narrating the rather bland tale of how my antics worked on this class.

Scene Two: The greater BUSMATH class

I marched straight into the 10th floor from my usual quarters in the 5th floor along with an accomplice, one who has accompanied me on my previous antics from yesterday. This time I found a class that was almost empty of students save for those who were lounging around in their free time. Suffice to say I was even more surprised to see that this classroom held armchairs instead of tables and chairs, the traditional classroom layout of the school. And it held seats for 38 students.

I came in my same garb: the
tattered red shoulderbag with my markers, eraser, and ID stuffed inside, and the BUSMATH textbook with the classlist folded inside the pages. The accomplice and myself took seats near the backrow, beside several armchairs evidently reserved for other students, as given away by their bags.

Me: BUSMATH po ba to?
Girl # 1: Opo
Me: *turns to accomplice #
1* Ah so dito pala tayo.

We took our seats and I did my usual glancing around and measuring the class - or at least what remained of it. This class evidently did a lot of lounging around during the 15-minute breaks between classes. The students were unnaturally quiet and talking in low voices like as if there was a funeral.

From the door windows I made out the victims to my antics from the ALGEBRA class yesterday and I subtly shushed them from sabotaging the entire operation. Fortunately they got the idea. They evidently wanted their classmates to experience the same thing.

Accomplice: *text-typed message over phone* Ang tahimik nila :))
Me: *low voice* Oo nga eh.

Soon the clock ringtone sounded and the students started piling in, most of them carrying plastic bags loaded with snacks, evidently from the convenience store in our neighborhood gas station. Man, these students must not be able to wait for lunch, for they ripped open their goods and started eating while making small talk.

Student # 1: Anong pinag-aralan nung friday (sa BUSMATH)?
Student # 2: Ano... payroll ata, and salaries.

I immediately shifted the pages of my textbook towards the next lesson (Discounts), as I was clueless about this class's progress in the lessons and was thinking which to discuss. Thank you for the volunteer information, I said to myself.

I felt the call of nature knocking hence I turned to my accomplice:

Me: CR lang ako. Pagbalik ko AKO na.
Accomplice: Ok.

I gathered my things subtly, went out via the backdoor, and was welcomed by my ALGEBRA students. I again reminded them not to sabotage the operation and they promptly agreed, smirking as I went.

I "changed" forms inside the CR, wearing my Instructor ID and holding my things out instructor-fashion, then went straight into their classroom through the front door, laying my things on the table as I always d
o. Some of them were utterly bewildered, like as if I was some mistaken prof who went in the wrong class. Those who saw me come in posing even gawked at me.

Me: Ok guys, let's get ready, I will be taking over your BUSMATH class for this term.

I must admit the expression of shock was less than expected, although the ALGEBRA folks, who were now leaning against the front door of the classroom, were all evidently a
mused.

I started the class by introducing myself then provoked them to ask me questions. The popular one arose: How old are you sir?

Me: Take a guess.

Evidently one of the worst replies I make everytime I'm asked about it, since I get a bird's eye view of how old I look like. Their assumptions were close to truth though - 19, 20, 21, 25, 28, and I was shocked to hear a 32.

Me: I'm just 20 years old. I started teaching when I was 19.

As always, it did it's job - shock stu
dents to oblivion. Is it really that of a surprise that someone as young as myself would stand before people about the same age as I am (there was one guy who was older than me LOL) and teaching them like as if we're on an entirely different level?

Guess so, so I just went on into the discussion.

*Scene Ends*

Looks like I'm in for a very interesting trimester this time :D



0 comments: