Thursday, February 11, 2010

Looney Business Ideas

Today marks the end of this rather most interesting week - oh wait, it's just Thursday! Silly me, I'm already marking the end of the week - maybe it's because I already want this week to end, LOL.

Being the busiest of my school days, with three classes to man, I must admit that Mondays and Thursdays are my rush hour schedules, but I don't mind at all, it's quite renewing to the instructorship experience that I am back on my sanctuary - the classroom (or is it really now *thinks*)

Anyway, I entered both my MINSYST classes and started the group presentations of my students. The group activity is all about establishing a business idea, determining what features and concepts would give it a competitive advantage, and identify how Information Systems can play its role to the development and growth of their business.

I started with my 7:30 class and had 5 groups present their business ideas. Here's what I had gleaned from their presentations:

AC81 MINSYST

Events Management -
One group presented the concept of an events management business that lets people arrange for their celebrations using the Internet and establishing connections with known catering and facility businesses to augment their strengths. One curious thing I gleaned from this idea is the fact that they integrated a 'game' of sorts that can be played over the web and 'simulates' the event organization that the customer wants to have.

Diner Dash crossover anyone?

Urban Spa / Resort - The first weird catch of the day, this second idea I listened into featured a resort smack in the middle of the bustling, big, and polluted metropolis. I had always imagined that resorts would perform best if they were in some tree-laden provincial place like Laguna or Batangas but no, these guys want it in the big city and are willing to put up massive tall fences just to shield the beautiful recluse from the gray, barren cityscape.

One absolutely LOL thing I heard from their presentation was the usage of 'colored swimming pools' - special pools that has col
ored water according to the customer's preference. So if I wanted a halloween party on this resort, can I color the pool waters black?

Small-time 5-star Hotel and Resort - Yes, feel the irony of this idea BITCHES! When I first heard the idea I just thought it was just some resort in the middle of nowhere where people can go on vacation, but when more ideas started piling in to this mix such as small replicas of the world's landmarks, a hotel, a classy restaurant, and a so-called 'infinity pool' that is placed near the sea to create an 'everlasting water' effect, I can't help but think - is this really a small-time hotel business?

Print-on-Delivery - I've never heard of this idea before but I find this one interesting, strangely. The idea is similar to t
hat of conventional Internet Cafes that offer printing of documents and paperwork - only that the order can be done over the Internet and phone, and the printed output would be delivered at the customer's doorstep!

So does this mean if I ask for a 2-page printing of my resume they'd deliver it all the way to the corner of the city where I live? :P

Adventure Tours - I first thought that this business would be some sort of foreign safari to places like Africa or Amazon. Then I realized that it's just a zoo, amusement park, adventure park, and ocean park merged into one massive business enterprise, with restaurants on its borders. I find this a good idea
overall, although failed to glean something LOLworthy from it.

The ideas I have gotten so far from the first class were all good, and when I entered the second class 1 hr and 30 minutes later it went from good to downright insane. 7 groups presented this time, each presentation growing more obscene than the next.

Ac82 MINSYST

MOONBUCKS - Yes, soon you'll be hearing from this company and then SUNBUCKS! I must admit that I found this idea highly absurd when I first heard of it - a good idea, yes, but taking on the most famous coffee shop in the world isn't likely to be a good idea for a starter business. That coffee giant's gonna make this business look like a cup of coffee.

Still, their concept of making use of local breakfast and pastry delicacies such as the kapeng barako and local treats like buko pie make it a unique business idea. The school-only coverage they offer, while sosyal at some points (intercom delivery, ordering via the school mail, etc) is quite a robust idea to try out.

The Semi-Restaurant - don't ask me HOW or WHY the term was conceived, I do not know myself - what I gleaned from this idea is that it's a vegetarian restaurant that serves, well, obviously, VEGETABLES, DUH!

So I was like, "So I can bring my pet goat, cow, or sheep here to eat as well?"

The idea was to serve vegetarian food for - well, obviously again, VEGETARIANS, DUH!

A "Happy" Funeral Homes - I h
ad thought all along that funerals are supposed to be a time of mourning or at least a recognition of one's life well-lived in this world. When I heard this business idea though I could not help but think as if the business intends to celebrate one's death instead of mourning or recognizing it.

The business offers exclusive funeral arrangements such as accommodations so I figured, would the corpse be displayed on some expensive hotel-quality bed for everyone to see or can they configure it such that the corpse could somehow be displayed from the hotel-esque bathroom probably? They also offer buffet and catering services for the wake / funeral itself, so I was wondering if these guys had their mindset on planning a funeral or a debut.

"Dykajejudo" - again DO NOT a
sk me HOW or WHY this name or business even came into being. It's one of those "let's-merge-our-first-syllables-of-names-to-form-a-business-name" sort of things. It's technically a travel and tours business that made use of alliances established with other businesses to create a happy package of sorts. I wasn't particularly impressed with this result since it's similar to the example I gave out in class.

The Techie-Gym - A gym like no other featuring the robust capabilities of the Nintendo Wii! Nothing fancier other than that minor detail added in, so another business that I took little interest in.

A Perfect College Bookstore - So if this business were to take off, no college student would be able to say to his professor's face that he was not able to find or buy the book required for class since this business's ties with the publishers and knowing the needs of the Colleges and Universities make it a point that the b
ookstore is stocked full with the books and supplies that every subject of every school needs.

Supplies-in-a-box - When I first heard of this I thought that a bookstore / office supplies store got merged and squished in a tight vending machine where people can just purchase their goods via the vending machine. I found this an interesting idea, vending school supplies, but I feel that the idea is heavily constrained by the capabilities of the vending machine.

So there you have it, twelve business ideas overall, and all of them more interesting than the next. Next post will detail more madness I experienced in my ALGEBRA class.



0 comments: