Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Poser Instructor I

Class has been in session for the second week already yet things have already been spruced up a little in my favor. Allow me to share the amusing turn of events that transpired when I first entered my ALGEBRA and BUSMATH classes.

To set the mood, the course was handed down to me by our Mathematics Coordinator as the first week of class dawned on its end. Load revision permitted the formation of new courses and one of them was a repeater's class in ALGEBRA and shuffling instructor loads led to a vacancy in BUSMATH. Hence I was handed down both courses, both overseeing Tourism students.

Piqued with curiosity as to the nature of this class, which evidently were first years given by their section, I was tempted by my co-worker colleagues to pose as a student enrolled in the classes I was teaching. I had to admit the idea was fun to note as I continue receiving feedback that I still look like a student. Heck, even the faculty room receptionist screens me first before letting me in, thinking that I'm a student who's not supposed to be there at all (that is, until they see the instructor's ID hanging down my neck.)

The following scenes took place in two separate instances: the ALGEBRA class with the repeaters yesterday, then the BUSMATH class just today. This post will cover the ALGEBRA part of the scene.

Scene One: The shamed ALGEBRA class

I entered the classroom wearing a tattered red shoulderbag I always wear to stuff my small knickknacks - in this case it was stuffed with my whiteboard markers, my eraser, and my instructor ID. I can't certainly strut around like a student holding or wearing those things, right?

I was accompanied by three of my friends who were all in their 4th year in the same college. Hey, I must admit I have a lot of stu
dent friends as well. The conversations that will follow are anonymously named and make use of the actual language (I find it more effective than translating)

Me: ALGEBRA po ito?
Girl # 1: Opo
Me: Ah ok, so dito po pala ko *finds a place to sit in the back of the class*

At this point my "accomplices" took their places around the classroom as well, although straying near the back area. I observed this class and saw that there were just a handful of students, most of them women.

Girl # 1: Bagsak din po kayo sa ALGEBRA? *addresses us*
Me: Hindi po
Girl # 2: Ah ok, kasi kame bagsak e.

This was said with much pride that I can't tell whether its sarcasm or regret. I just silently shrugged and pretended to read the textbook I brought along with me (inside therein holding a copy of the class list). At this point the girls started talking amongst themselves.

Girl # 1: Kilala nyo ba kung sino yung prof?
Girl # 2: Hindi e, pero sabi nila bata daw.
Girl # 3: And magaling. Nakakatakot nga e
Accomplice # 2: Allan *turns to me*
kilala mo ba yung prof?
Me: *shoots a warning glance* Hinde.

I heard the clock ringtone sound, heralding the start of the 11am classes. I let the mood sink in a little more and several more students piled in until the class was half-full. I then subtly wore my Instructor ID, keeping the card hidden inside
my shoulderbag.

Several minutes later, afraid that the guard (who regularly checks Instructor attendance) might find the class empty and mark me absent, I signalled my accomplice silently.

Me: Anong oras na?
Accomplice # 1: 11:15.

Unable to contain it any longer, I
burst out.

Me: Ok itigil na natin to *marches straight into the Instructor's Desk and straightening out ID* Welcome to your ALGEBRA class, guys.
Girls: *gawk* OH SHET.

At this point the accomplices address me one last time as 'Sir Dave' and wave before leaving the classroom. The mission had been accomplished.

Me: Sorry for the deception guys, although I found it thoroughly amusing. I hope none of you were taken aback.
Girl # 1: Seryoso sir kayo yung prof namin?
Me: Opo. Don't worry, I won't ta
ke it against you guys. Hindi naman ako nambabagsak *smile*

*Scene Ends*

And that is how my first antic of the term commenced. The next one happened right after that, on my BUSMATH class the following day. To the next post!



0 comments: