Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Sit-In Brigade

After the weathering business idea presentations from my MINSYST classes, I went to my ALGEBRA class as always, ever-prepared to face the numerous challenges I'm about to face for this class. The next lesson is Factoring, probably one of the most must-be-enforced avenues of learning in ALGEBRA, for without this the students would probably be reduced to gridlock in their ALGEBRA progress.

I have noticed that the number of students sitting-in my class have increased exponentially from 1 to 9 and steady on that level. Sometimes there are 10 students from both my undergraduate friends and the friends of my students and sometimes the entire class is almost filled up even though my enrollees for the class are just 19. (Max seat capacity is 30).

I honestly could not help but ask myself: What makes my class so interesting to these students? I am excluding from this consideration a possibility that they think I'm such an awesome instructor, because NO THE FRAKKING HELL I AM NOT!

So what possible avenues of thinking could I turn to?

The next thing I could think of would be the sit-in brigade is sitting in here just because they are bored with their lives and just wanted to sit somewhere to stare blankly into oblivion. I honestly doubt these sit-ins are here to learn ALGEBRA, NO FRAKKING WAY.

The last thing I could think of - is the students themselves.

As Instructor, I have long noticed that my class is comprised entirely of FEMALE students - and my sit-in brigade is solely composed of MALE students. Do the math. An accomplice sitting beside me argues that there are not many of the opposite gender to shoot at, so I argue: maybe it's just one, two, or maybe three.

Yes, everyone has their own agendas. TRULY.

I just leave this last LOLworthy moment that sent my brain in its usual Monday-Thursday insane overdrive:

Scene: The Perfect Square

Me:
Ok guys, so is 1 a perfect square?
Class: *with conviction* Sir, NO!
Me: *turns around and bangs head on whiteboard*

Scene Ends


0 comments: