Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Series of Fail Events II: Algebra Madness

I entered my third class for the day, which is ALGEBRA for a repeater class of Tourism students. I had thought way way back that taking up a class of repeaters for a course I had loved since high school would be taxing on my sanity in the sense that I would be handling delinquents who do not show up in class or lash back at their instructors etc etc.

Well it was still taxing, but I didn't expect it to tax my sanity in THAT way.

The following scenes I will detail do not exactly comprise whole scenes, as these madnesses happened in rather quick succession. I will just detail them as I see best.

Scenes: The Algebra Fails

Me:
Ok guys, in multiplication, how does one do the process of multiplication? Let's try an example such as 746 x 34
Class: *computes for the answer*
Me: Good, so ok how about this one, 4 x 3 = ?
Student 1: Sir 12.
Me: Ok pero since may carry 2
pa, so 12 + 2 = ?
Student 2: Sir 16!
Me: *blink* Wat.

Me: So in adding polynomials, x2 (x squared) + x2 = 2x2, so we add those polynomials having like terms only, ok? So how about this one *adds a 4 and 3 as numerical coefficients on the x squareds*
Student 1: Sir wait lang.
Me: Mm? Yes?
Student 1: Sir teka, confused lang ako kung san nanggaling yung 2x squared.
Me: Well, you add the two x squ
areds together to get 2x squared.
Student 1: Sir hindi, hindi nyo ko gets, teka *walks up to board*
Student 2: Oh ayan na si *insert Student 1's name here* oh lalaban na!
Me: Hindi din kita magets, sige turo mo *hands Student 1 the marker*
Student 1: Kasi sir diba kanina me x squared dito so pano naging 2x squared yun?
Me: Kasi po yung x squared na yan merong 1 na numerical coefficient. 1+1 = ?
Student 1: 2 po. Ah, ok sir sige.
Me: Ayun.

Me: Ok guys so pano naman to, let's look at (3x squared)(2x)
Student 3: Sir 6x squared po.
Me: Ha? Bakit?
Student 3: Sir kasi 3 x 2 po tapos yung x squared.
Me: So papano yung x nung 2x?
Student 3: Ay oo nga pala sir, so x cubed.
Me: Ok, let me review and clarify lang for everyone ha. Kapag walang coefficient ang x, ibig sabihin meron syang coefficient na
1. Pag walang exponent ang x ibig sabihin meron syang exponent na 1. Pag walang denominator ang x ibig sabihin meron syang denominator na 1, ok? Alam nyo na kung san nagtatago ang mga 1 sa ALGEBRA?
Class: Yes sir.

*Scenes End*

Suffice to say this last round of madness made my day completely.



0 comments: