Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Series of Fail Events I: Morning Madness

Being a loyal follower of the Legion of Sabaw I am inherently sabaw in most things I do and the most sabaw things seem to happen to me all the time. Today, one of my most loaded schedules in the week, I am faced with four instances of madness, three of which I will share here and the fourth I will detail in the next post.

Suffice to say today I stared right into the face of madness.

Scene One: The Fail Librarian

I had forgotten to borrow a Management Information Systems textbook from the library during my previous lesson schedule, hence I opted to obtain one right before my 7:30 AM class today. In entering the library I had no idea that it opens at exactly 7:30 AM, and it was 7:10 or so when I entered, hoping to acquire a book.

The library circulation area was quiet save for a new library personnel manning the borrower's desk. It took me two attempts to pry open the tightly-shut door of the circulation area and when I got in this rather interesting scene occured.

Library Personnel: *annoyed* Anong oras ang library?
Me: Uhh, manghihiram lang po sana ako ng libro...
Library Personnel: *still annoyed* Hindi mo ba alam na 7:30 ang bukas ng library?
Me: ...

Library Personnel: Balik ka na lang mamaya.
Me: *weakly shows Instructor ID* Uhh... instructor po ako?
Library Personnel: Ha... ah, ok. Sige, anong hihiramin mo?

Suffice to say I was duly annoyed at this lack of respect for those who patronage the library's services. I asked for the book I needed and she complied, then leaving me the usual remark I always get from those who do not seem to know of my existence here as an instructor: "Akala ko estudyante ka po."

Well, the mistaken identities I did not mind at all since I get that all the time. What I didn't appreciate was the treatment I got.

*Scene Ends*

So I entered my first class today, that would be MINSYST for AC81 and commenced discussions as normal. At the end of the class, with several minutes to spare before the official dismissal time, my students approached me and asked me to help them with their Business Mathematics 2 assignment. Being their teacher in Business Mathematics 1, I obliged to assist them in their time of great aid.

Scene Two: The Fail Math Students

The problem was about the applications of quadratic equations in a business mathematics problem. It was a problem of interesting proportions and I had to read up a little to get the gist of the solution. Afterwards I shared my findings with the rest of the class. This discussion followed suit.

Student 1: Sir paturo naman
Me: Kakaturo ko lang sa mga kaklase mo ah
Student 1: Sige na sir para magets ko din

I obliged again, solving the problem in the whiteboard this time, using up the last few minutes of my MINSYST time for some pro-bo
no BUSMATH2 teaching.

Me: Parang equations lang din naman to ah. Parang hindi ko kayo naturuan sa BUSMATH ha!
Student 2: Sir hindi naman to parehas ng BUSMATH nyo e, may ALGEBRA na tong kasama.

It should be noted here that I handled their ALGEBRA class as well three trimesters ago. The next statement made my day - for that time.

Student 3: A, so ibig nating sabihin wala din tayong natutunan sa ALGEBRA ni sir non?

I let out a wail of frustration and banged my head in the whiteboard. All those who were asking for my guidance went LOL.

*Scene Ends*


I went to my next MINSYST class on AC82 fifteen minutes later and started my discussion as I did with the first. In the middle of the discussion, I committed several tactless and grave mistakes that even I deemed it worthy being in the annals of the Lord of Sabaw's records.

Scene Three: The Fail Instructor

I was discussing how a particular business can achieve the competitive advantage using Information Systems. As we were discussing the 7th initiative to gain the advantage, my wracked-up mind from the first two insane ordeals took its toll.

Me: So to gain the competitive advantage, establishing alliances is key. Sabi nga nila, takpan nyo ang mga butas ninyo par
a hindi ma exploit ng iba.

Slightly aware of the consequences of what I had just said, I saw the class get a slightly dazed look. Some stifled smirks.

Me: *continues tactlessly* So how do you do this? Pano nyo tatakpan ang mga butas ninyo?

By this time everything made sense. Most of the class was already smirking, so I changed tack to my usual mad mode in class.

Me: ANG MGA INIISIP NYO HA! HINDI GANUNG BUTAS ANG TINUTUKOY KO!

And the class went LOL.

Me: Ok fail. Blogworthy ito.

*Scene Ends*

I had thought these three scenes sufficed to complete my blogworthy post of the day, but when I entered my third class in ALGEBRA, I was actually in for more madness.

To the next class!





0 comments: