Friday, September 24, 2010

A Frenzy of Humor

Class is once again in session!

I deeply apologize to all my blog patrons for not being at par in posting content in here, I have been quite occupied lately with a lot of stuff that involved a lot of things, my students included.

A few days ago marked the beginning of the second trimester of AY 2010-2011, the third term I'm handling since my 6-month exile into unemployment and idleness. Suffice to say I've missed teaching so much that I've made it quite an integral part of my life and I'm fortunate to have found an IT career that can let me cater to both worlds at the same time. Maybe it's something my mother and I have shared - a teacher who's getting involved in IT stuff and an IT Professional who's getting involved in teaching LOL.

As it is, I got handed down another marathon course run on one of my interesting classes - a wild coincidence, as the same instance also happened to my first ever favorite class two years ago. Perhaps fate is trying to play tricks on me or give me more reason to get more gray hairs. As it is, I am currently handling AC102/103's ALGEBRA and SYSTAND classes, on a consecutive schedule of 7:30 - 9am and 9:15 - 10:45 am respectively. It is an understatement to say that they've grown tired of seeing my face and hearing me speak.

Today was an exceptionally interesting day as I've already given in to letting my students know of the existence of this blog - that is, opening up all my incriminating antics in class for the new blood of vermin to see. I hope you guys find this an interesting read too, as it will concern you now. >:D

This particular experience I'll share happened today, while I was discussing on the said marathon class.

Scene One - Algebra, the Poker Face Instructor

As an instructor of mathematics I've made it a point to check every so often if and when my students are following with the discussion and not just agreeing with anything and everything I say, so as a part of my teaching strategy I deliberately make mistakes to see if I can incite a reaction or try to turn a student's correct answer around into a wrong on
e.

Me: Ok guys, in evaluating a squared times a to the fourth (a2 x a4), the answer would be...?
Student # 1: Sir, a6 (a to the sixth)!
Me: *raises an eyebrow* Sigurado ka dyan?
Student #2: a8 Sir! (a to the eighth)
Me: Mm-hmm *erases the previous answer and updates with new one*
Students: Hindi sir, a6 dapat yun
g sagot!
Me: *shocked* Bakit a6?! Pano nangyari yun
Student #1: Sir kasi diba dapat i-a-add yung exponent pag minumultiply?!
Me: Oo nga, so dapat a6 yung sagot. *smirk*
Student #2: Daya naman ni sir oh, panglito!

Made my day already with just that sweet remark. I appreciate it when my students learn a thing or two from my own sarcasm and amusement.


Scene Two - Systand, Three hours of Ordeal

I was in the middle of discussing the traits and skills needed by a Systems Analyst and how it bridges the IT and Business world when I got a remark from one of my students.

Student #1: Sir, ang lamig naman!

I noticed here on that most of my students were somewhat shivering on their seats. The lights had been turned off due to the overhead projector being turned on and directed at my general direction for the acetate slide
s and the AC had been turned on at full blast - both of them.

Me: Malamig? Di kaya, init init e.

You guys should know that I'm wearing a long-sleeved shirt as is my usual custom whenever I'm wearing civilian attire. Naturally it would not be as cold.

Student #1: Kayo kaya sir try nyo maupo dito sa likod ng 3 hours na malamig!
Me: Eh kayo kaya try nyo din tumayo dito sa harap ng 3 hours tas nagsasalita pa.
Student #2: Daya nyo sir umupo din naman kayo kanina nung break ah.

The remark caught me unexpectedly and I'll admit I didn't have any counter to that.

Me: Ok fine sige talo na ko *laugh
*

Discussion continued afterwards but still I can't shake the amusing thought off my head.

It's times like these when I love my students and can rely on them to dissipate any excess stress of my head. Then again they can be the source of my stress sometimes LOL.



0 comments: